NEW YEAR…NEW YOU!
5 HABITS TO STOP IMMEDIATELY | 5 HABITS TO START IMMEDIATELY
By: Kat Walsh
5 habits to stop immediately
- Cut out the sugar: too much sugar can speed up skin aging in a process called glycation. Sugar attacks collagen elastin, which your skin needs for fullness and elasticity. The result: Your skin can wrinkle and sag.
- Stop smoking: This habit makes you more likely to get some skin cancers, leaves your skin sallow, and slows wound healing. It can make infections and scars, including acne scars, more likely, too. Do whatever it takes to quit.
- Stomach or side sleeping: This pushes your face forward and creates lines on your face and chest. It’s difficult to sleep on your back, but the less you sleep on your side or stomach, the better.
- Sleeping with make up on: This can lead to bacterial infections, clogged pores, and acne.
- Cut excessively hot showers: Extremely hot water strips your skin of the natural lipids leaving skin dry and itchy.
5 Habits to start immediately
- Daily SPF: even in the winter! UV radiation damages your skin, causing deep wrinkles, dry, rough skin, hyperpigmentation and skin cancer.
- Try for 7-8 hours of sleep/night: A good night’s sleep allows your skin to rejuvenate itself, repair free-radical damage, and build new collagen.
- Replace coffee with green tea: Coffee is dehydrating and processed. We suggest drinking green tea instead. It is high in antioxidants, which counteract free-radical damage throughout your system, including the skin.
- Exercise: By increasing circulation, your skin eliminates toxins. Exercise amps up detoxification, making your skin look brighter and healthier
- Take a fish oil supplement every day: The fatty acids in fish oil increase hydration, reduce inflammation, acne and also ward off wrinkles.